Vigils


Yesterday Josie said, "I do not think anyone can measure you accept for God." Her theological juices are already running at age 5. I love it. She is right. God is our judge and nobody else. I think she felt compelled to say this because we had just spent some time measuring her on our closet door in the family room.

Needless to say, it keep ringing in my ears, and as I woke up this morning I ran to scripture in hopes to meet God once again.

O Lord, open my lips
And my mouth shall proclaim your praise.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end, Amen


Vigils for January 13th, 2010

Psalm 95

Let us kneel before the Lord who made us
Come ring out our joy to the Lord;
hail the rock who saves us
Let us come before him, giving thanks,
with songs let us hail the Lord.

Let us kneel before the Lord who made us
A mighty God is the Lord
a great king above all gods.
In his hands are the depths of the earth;
the heights of the mountains are his.
To him belongs the sea, for he made it
and the dry land shaped by his hands

Let us kneel before the Lord who made us
Come in, let us bow and bend low;
let us kneel before the God who made us.
for he is our God and we
the people who belong to his pasture,
the flock that is led by his hand

Let us kneel before the Lord who made us
O that today you would harken to his voice!
"Harden not your hearts as at Meribah,
as on that day at Massah  in the desert
when your forebears put me to the test;
when they tried me, though they saw my work.

Let us kneel before the Lord who made us
For forty years I was wearied of these people
and I said, "Their hearts are astray,
these people do not know my ways."
Then I took an oath in my anger:
'never shall they enter my rest."

Glory be to the Father, and Glory be to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit
As it was in the beginning
Is now
And every shall be
World without end
Amen



Jesus, Lover of my soul (Capo at 5)
CGD
All consuming fire is in your gaze.
G C D G
Jesus, I want you to know
C G D
I will follow you for all my days.
G C Em C

No one else in history is like you.
G D C G
And history itself belongs to you.
G C Em C
Alpha and Omega you have loved me,

G C D
And I will spend eternity with you.
Em C G D
It’s all about you, Jesus.
Em C
And all this is for you,
G D
For your glory and your fame.
Em C
It’s not about me,
G C
As if you should do things my way.
G D C G
You alone are God and I surrender to your ways.

Psalm 61


Lead Me to the Rock

To the choirmaster: with(A) stringed instruments. Of David.

Hear my cry, O God,
listen to my prayer;
from the end of the earth I call to you
when my heart is faint.

Lead me to the rock
that is higher than I,
for you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the enemy.
Let me dwell in your tent forever!
Let me take refuge under the shelter of your wings!

For you, O God, have heard my vows;
you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.
Prolong the life of the king;
may his years endure to all generations!

May he be enthroned forever before God;
appoint steadfast love and faithfulness to watch over him!
So will I ever sing praises to your name,
as I perform my vows day after day.





In God alone be at rest my soul
Psalm 62

1 Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.


2 He only is my rock and my salvation; he is my defence; I shall not be greatly moved.

3 How long will ye imagine mischief against a man? ye shall be slain all of you: as a bowing wall shall ye be, and as a tottering fence.

4 They only consult to cast him down from his excellency: they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly. Selah.

5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.

6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.

7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.

8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

9 Surely men of low degree are vanity, and men of high degree are a lie: to be laid in the balance, they are altogether lighter than vanity.

10 Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.

11 God hath spoken once; twice have I heard this; that power belongeth unto God.

12 Also unto thee, O Lord, belongeth mercy: for thou renderest to every man according to his work.

~~~~~~

Psalm 66

Make a joyful noise unto God, all ye lands:
sing forth the honor of his name:
make his praise glorious.

Say unto God, How terrible art thou in thy works!
Through the greatness of thy power shall thine enemies submit themselves unto thee.
All the earth shall worship thee,
and shall sing unto thee;
they shall sing to thy name.

Come and see the works of God:
he is terrible in his doing toward the children of men.
He turned the sea into dry land: Ex. 14.21
they went through the flood on foot: Josh. 3.14-17
there did we rejoice in him.

He ruleth by his power for ever;
his eyes behold the nations:
let not the rebellious exalt themselves.

O bless our God, ye people,
and make the voice of his praise to be heard:
which holdeth our soul in life,
and suffereth not our feet to be moved.

For thou, O God, hast proved us:
thou hast tried us, as silver is tried.
Thou broughtest us into the net;
thou laidst affliction upon our loins.

Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads;
we went through fire and through water:
but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.
I will go into thy house with burnt offerings:
I will pay thee my vows,

which my lips have uttered,
and my mouth hath spoken,
when I was in trouble.
I will offer unto thee burnt sacrifices of fatlings,
with the incense of rams:

I will offer bullocks with goats.
Come and hear, all ye that fear God,
and I will declare what he hath done for my soul.
I cried unto him with my mouth,
and he was extolled with my tongue.

If I regard iniquity in my heart,
the Lord will not hear me:

but verily God hath heard me; ( but truly God has listened)
he hath attended to the voice of my prayer.

Blessed be God,
which hath not turned away my prayer,
nor his mercy from me.


( But truly God has listened)

II Timothy 1:9-10

God has saved us and called us to a holy life— not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,

but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel.



Litany

Lord Jesus, though born a child, you reign as king. You hav erevealed in the flesh the marvelous love and power of our God. Accept our gifts and listen as we pray: Lord Jesus grant us your salvation.

King of the nations, you called the Magi as the first of all the Gentiles to kneel before you; help us honor you with praise and thanksgiving
Lord Jesus, grant us your salvation
King of Glory, you judge the peoples with justice, free the oppressed and break the power of the wicked.
Lord Jesus, grant us your salvation
Eternal King, you are faithful from age to age; forever send your word into our hearts like snow on winter stubble.
Lord Jesus, grant us your salvation.

Concluding prayer
With a star's radiance, O Lord, you guided the nations to the Light; in a prophets words you revealed the mystery of the Messiah's coming; through the Magi's gifts you unflolded the richness of the Savior's mission. Scatter again the darkness that covers the earth. Scatter it, we ask in Jesus' name. Make our hearts thrill anew to see the multitudes carried as sons and daughters in your arms. In Christ and through Christ's Gospel, draw the ends of the earth into your family, that disparate cultures and warring nations may be gathered together as one. We ask through Jesus.

Let us bless the Lord.
Thanks be to God.

Comments

Popular Posts