Typical London Pub near Covent Garden

Our trip to London, over the Thanksgiving holidays, was poignant, filled with beauty, and filled with the wonder of my children. We went to see The Lion King, we ate crepes at the Crepe Stand in Hampstead,




and we even went to a prayer service at St. Pauls. Josie was wide eyed as we ventured into the largest dome in Western Europe.


But we did more than site see. We went to the country. Gordon and Joan, Anna's friends from South Africa, welcomed us for a wonderful night in the country. We had tea, walked in their garden, told stories, delighted in the train ride, and enjoyed the bliss of the English countryside.

But I think my favorite thing was getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner. We all sorted flowers, cut turkey, and even made a few decorations together. Here  you can see us using the entire floor of the "mansion," to get prepared. We had at least 40 people over for dinner, and my parents, in their rare style of hospitality, really exuded the love of family which I love to be around.


The typical pictures of London, were also incredibly moving to me. Just going on the tube was fun, and just walking down the Thames was invigorating.

The flow of water was much like the flow of time in London. When I go to London, something happens in my heart. I simply cannot believe I am in it. I cannot believe that God would create such a space, such a people, and such a bounty of cultures. London is a spectacle to behold. And having known London, from the vantage point of a student, in 1993, has simply deepened my longing of place when I return.

It is amazing that just waiting for a bus can bring joy. And here we are, waiting for the C11, about to board the ship back to Worrell House. 



Comments

Popular Posts