A Starrbucks Morning with the King's Enlglish

I love the King's James version of the Bible. The language soars. The language reminds me of childhood. The language reminds me of my grandparents. When my children read their bibles, when they are 20, I am afraid they will not be reading the King James Version. That is ok. But it is a little slice of history that will be lost. I want Silas to read the King James Version of the Bible some day. When I read it I feel like I am back in high school in biology lab. You have to really spend time reading through each sentence. You cannot just run through the words like they are on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Chapter 19:36 We hear of Demetrius and the uproar he caused amongst the men that use their hands to make statues of Diana.

"Seeing then that these things cannot be spoken against, ye ought to be quiet, and to do nothing rashly. For ye have brought hither these men, which are neither robbers of churches nor..."

The word "rashly" and the word "hither" are used less and less. When I go to my job at the homeless shelter, never would I hear the word "hither" or "rashly." These words contain a clear meaning of definition and they cover lots of ground within a short distance. "Come over here," was at one time "Come hither." Come "here" from "there." Hither. Rashly is a word that rarely gets air time. Rashly means that someone uses their, or exercises their power with too much force, in a hurry, or without thought. One would be considered "reckless" if they purchased a car for $20,000 if they only had $18,000 in the bank.

Comments

Popular Posts