Childhood in the wild


Childhood in the wild

My childhood began on the water. I remember how much I felt God’s presence when I was a small thing, playing with small things in the water. I lived on a creek in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I walked the bed of that creek every day. My life was immersed in that water filled wonderland. My friend Mary Neel and I traversed sand and bog and branch and vine, day after day, until our little hearts were content. I was nurtured by the closeness of nature. I was nurtured by the ease of nature. I was nurtured by the creativity of nature. I loved to be outdoors. The rhythm of childhood was certainly set to the beat of the river, the land, and my exploration of that topography. Later, when we moved from that house on Silas Creek, to a house on the campus of Wake Forest University, my first impulse was to look for my playhouse in the woods. I found it.


The Reynolds family, who gave Wake Forest its land in the late 19th century, had a “bungalow” behind our house. Its surrounding land was called Reynolda Gardens. These thick forests and high trees became the wonderland of my heart. The forest was filled with lakes, streams and broken limbs to play on. Later in life I worked at a museum there, the Reynolda House Museum of American Art. Interestingly, I had my first date with my wife on the grounds of this home, took wedding photos on the grounds of this home, met Dean Jones on the grounds of this home, and a whole host of other deviance occurred in this holy ground. My brothers Benjamin and Jonathan, my neighbors Stephen and Garret, and friends like Michael McDowell and Mary Neel, spent hours and hours building forts and catching salamanders in the woods of Reynolda Village. The water, the woods, and the wilderness were a net that captured my imagination. This was the beginning of my pilgrimage. This place was Zion for me. It was sacred.

It makes sense that I tried to baptize myself in one of the creeks that runs through this land. I think I was unsuccessful. Yes, I was. But, even though I was crazy as I tried to baptize myself, something deep inside of me was being magnetically connected to that childhood stream of conscience. Larry Lewis, in his book, The Misfit, explains that reaching out towards flowers, wind, water, and the world, is a “gateway to the void.” We all are confronted, even early in life, with “the void.” Its emptiness calls us to be more fully alive. The void is one aspect of the reality of being human. We are called as people, and certainly as Christians, to reach towards the void. And as a Christian, because Christ did take up residence in  a human heart, and become Emanuel, I no longer have to wrestle with the void, with the spaces between. Perhaps one of the greatest joys as Christians is this realization that Christ came to fill this void, died in that void, descended into that void, and has given us new life. In Christ, there is a new creation, and in Jesus we have a man that was fully willing to fill that gap, that void, and that tremendous space inside of our internal landscape. The cross is nothing less or more than God’s rescue plan for the void.  

Unfortunately, we are not a lot like Jesus. We are more like Jonah, who though he was given life in God, decided to start walking away from the void and from God’s commands. As humans, we would rather be filled with entertainment in order to fill that void. We who take up this cross, and walk this pilgrimage of life expose ourselves to judgment, ridicule from others, and bitterness from our culture and world. Yet we find that our misfit-edness is our grace. The divine love given forth from the belly of the Father, to the Son, and back to through the Holy Spirit in love is “not protection but the sustenance, the radical support of knowing God’s promise is best remembered in the void.”[1] Love lives in the void. Was it not Jesus Christ who entered into the void, entered into a place that we cannot imagine? In fact, in our creed, we say, “He descended to hell.”


Agape love is bred in this void. The small Greek word, agape, reminds me of the patience God gave me in that last 20 minutes of our pilgrimage through Pittsboro. Patience is not ours. It is the life and patience of God, in Christ, that surrounds us and turns us away from our own impatience. God gives it to us freely.  The love of God, expressed in patience, would like to give itself away and not be God. God is so generous that God wants to become a slave and die on a cross, despite God’s absolute joy and complete wisdom. God is so humble that there is no room for God’s possession even of God’s self. Jesus is the cornerstone to this paradigm of agape love, self-giving emptiness and kenosis. God simply wants to be given away. This is agape love, and this is the love that is constantly branded upon us as we walk as Christian pilgrims. Our pilgrimage is to join into the invitation of this God who allows us to join into the gift of this humility and agape love. God allows us to feast at His banquet table, and He does not mind if we call him names, are dressed like a bum, or have 5 million dollars. Now, what I am trying to say is this. God wants us to be In Him. If there is anything He is doing, it is that he is inviting us to be partakers in His life. We have decided, as Christians, to sell our fields because we have found the treasure. Our treasure is at the banquet table of the Lamb. Rather than be claimed by other treasures, we can be claimed as God’s own treasure and life, in Christ. 


[1] Larry Lewis,NM, The Misfit: Haunting the Human, Unveiling the Divine. Orbis Books: Maryknoll, New York. 1997, p.18

Comments

Popular Posts